I remember a story from my
son’s fourth grade teacher. She normally informed me a day or two before any
schedule change. This way I could help
prepare my son for it. This time she had forgotten to mention it.
A fire drill was scheduled
after recess. She did not want him to “freak out” so she
told him about the fire drill during recess.
He looked at her and said, “I’m not doing it.” She asked the school counselor what to
do. Our counselor said to go in after
recess and explain everything that she possibly could think of that related to fire drills. The office delayed the fire drill bell for an additional five
minutes to allow time for the expanation.
When the fire drill finally sounded, all
the students, including my son, lined up and marched outside. No one would ever
of known that Isaac had shown any anxiety regarding the fire drill.
Explaining changes very
thoroughly helps a great deal to lesson anxiety and rigid thinking and
behavior.