Image Map

Friday, April 12, 2013

Special Needs Adoption

I am not an expert on adoption or special needs adoption.  Over time God has led me into situations where I have been touched by children who have been adopted.  I started my third career about 5 years ago.  My first one was in the business world before we started a family.  My second was motherhood and all that came with it.  This time it was autism.  Little did I know that many of the things I learned through autism would translate to other children.   One of those groups is children who’ve been adopted. 

I have been able to use many of the areas I’ve studied to work with families who have adopted children.  Often the expressive and receptive language issues that adopted children have are similar to children with autism spectrum issues.  Other areas that adopted children often need help are fine motor, social skills, emotional issues, dysgraphia, dyslexia, and a number of other learning disabilities.

Even many children who aren’t considered special needs at the time of adoption will need intervention in these areas. 

I'd love to hear from others on this subject.