Image Map

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Refreshment!

Refreshment, what’s that.  I grew up thinking refreshments were cookies and punch after school or church meetings.  Food can be refreshing but as a parent of a special needs child, being refreshed is what keeps me going.  How have I done it over the years?  Many ways, here are a few.

1.Bible Study:  This has been wonderful.  It keeps me in the Word and prayer.  It makes me accountable to others.  It provides insight and fellowship at the weekly meeting.  I don’t think I would still be standing without a weekly bible study.

2. Goof off time.  I can’t handle the need to be productive all the time.  I need some fun and activities that stimulate me in the way I’m made.  I like academic activities.  You might like creative pursuits or athletics.  Whatever makes you tick, schedule it.

3.Pamper yourself.  That may mean a lot of different things to various people.  I don’t want to go to the spa but I may want to go sit at Starbucks for 2-3 hours and read a book.  Once again, put it in the schedule.

4.Get some exercise and eat well.  Also, allow yourself a special treat once in a while.

5.Time with friends: This includes a date with your spouse.

These are just a few to get started.  Don’t feel guilty for doing something for yourself.  It will make you a better wife and mom in the long run.