Image Map

Friday, May 24, 2013

Handling Disappointment!

As I look at many of the children I’ve worked with, I notice that disappointment is one of the hardest emotional skills for them regulate.  How about me?

How’s my ability to deal with disappointment?  Well, it depends if you catch me on the “right day.”  I can handle losing a turn in Monopoly better than some children I know with social deficits.  I have to admit I can have my own kind of meltdown if I have too many disappointments in a row. Sometimes that happens. What can I do to keep from sinking into depression? 

I had one of those days recently.  It had been a hard day emotionally for me.  You see my son is graduating but it is hard to watch how different his experience is from many of his peers.  I was dealing with the disappointing reality of this. How did I get through it.

1.   I cried.  Grieving is part of dealing with the losses of life.

2.   I prayed that God would get me past the crying and let me “hold it together” when I left the house.

3.   I went to Saturday night worship at our church.  The Lord met me in a powerful way during worship.  He reminded me through the songs that He is the creator of the universe and His greatness and power exceeds any difficulty I may experience.  I serve the God of the Universe.  It raised my thoughts off of myself and onto the Lord.

4.   I went to a dedication of a new facility our church will use to reach people in our community.  I was able to concentrate on others and the potential the Lord was giving those of us who have been called to our church.

5.   I had fellowship with many of the people at the dedication.  There is a reason we are told in scripture not to forsake meeting together with the fellowship of believers.  God uses it to encourage us and for us to be an encouragement to others.

Life happens.  Discouragement occurs.  The answer always involves seeing God for who he is and my situation in light of my relationship with the Lord.