Image Map

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Making Joy Complete

I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. John 15:11

So what has Jesus told us?  Good question?  Well, when I don’t understand something I read, I see what came before it in the text. The verse before it tells us that a way we remain in God’s love is by obeying his commands.  Now I have to think how John 15:11 fits into that context. 
Jesus tells the reader that he told this (the way to remain in God’s love) so that Jesus’ joy may be in each believer (plural you). He also tells us that our joy will be complete by doing this.

So let me think this through.   My obedience to God’s Word shows my love toward Him.  This is the way of joy.  It is the way God completes my joy.  It’s not by getting, grabbing or taking.  It’s by laying down my will and doing His will as He outlines for each of us as we read His Word.  Jesus way is not the way of conventional wisdom in our world.  It is The Way, though!