Image Map

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

To Love as Jesus Loved: That's My Calling!

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.”  John 15:12

How I love positive things.  This is a nice positive verse.  Oh, wait!  It’s a command to love in the same way Jesus loved each of us who are His children.  This passage is quickly losing the sweet syrupy kind of love that I often think of when I “just want to love others.” 

Let’s take a look at how Jesus loved others.  First of all, He willingly left his home in heaven to come to a sin stained world to do His Father’s will.  Hmm…  I don’t often want to leave my own comforts for a short time.  Jesus left the perfect place to come to a fallen world.  From the time He was born until He died, He was misunderstood.  Even those closest to him, didn’t “get it.”   He was on the run from Egypt to Galilee to the Holy City. He fulfilled His difficult mission to save me from my sin through his death and resurrection.

This verse tells me I must love as Jesus loved.  It’s a love that gives up my will in order to do God’s will.  It is self-sacrificing.  It gives others my time rather than doing what I always want to do.  It is often difficult. I might be misunderstood and those I seek to minister might not always “get it.” 

As I think about these things, motherhood and marriage gives me a lot of opportunities to practice this.  If I wasn’t married or a mother, I’m sure God would open up people who need an extra mother or friend in life.  That’s how God is, He uses us wherever we are and desires a willing heart.