Image Map

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Fostering Relationships with your Children

Here is another topic that seems like it should be easy but it’s not.  There are a lot of things that get in the way.  Work, laundry, school, carpools, sporting events, dance and the list goes on.  Did I mention grocery shopping and cooking dinner?  Life just takes control unless I take control of it.

It is different at every stage of life but here are a few ideas.

In the preschool years:

1.Play more, clean less!

2.Go on stroller rides talking with your children.  Point out interesting things that you see. 
Consider leaving your cellphone home sometimes.    

At preschool and elementary school ages:

3.Read lots of books together.

4.Talk with your children about anything they will talk with you about. (This strategy will be needed in the teenage age years also).

5.Play I-Spy or similar games when waiting at doctor’s and therapy appointment.  Limit your child's acces to your phone or any electronics to pass the time.  This will teach help them to interact with you. We used to take a bag of library books while waiting at my daughter’s gymnastics class.  I was a rock star as all the children there would come around as I read to my son.  I also did lots of Where’s Waldo type seek and find books with him.  Looking back this was so important for him to do things other than technology to entertain himself.  It will play big dividends down the road.  Also, consider cutting the amount of time that the dvd player is used if you have it in your car.  It is another way to help your children interact with you since most of us spend a lot of time in our vehicles with our children. Teaching your children to interact with you in the coming years, starts now.