Image Map

Friday, June 28, 2013

Anger and Your Words

How do I handle things and people who make me angry?  Well, I have a lot of practice.  Why is that?  Well, I live in an imperfect world with imperfect people.  Those two things usually bring about conflict.  As I face conflict, I have a fork in the road.  Do I choose anger or another response.  Unfortunately I often respond with anger.  Why?  My counselor friends tell me when a desire or expectation is blocked, the disappointment, hurt or discouragement comes.  I need to respond to those emotions.  Many times, that response comes in the form of anger. 

Anger doesn’t end there.  The way it is shown is a cutting remark, retreating from communicating or becoming verbally aggressive with unkind words.  What is a person to do when the difficulties of life cause things not to fit my perfect ideal?

1.    Pray for God’s help.

2.   Be willing to take steps to overcome bad habits you’ve developed with the words you speak.

3.   Ask others to hold you accountable for the words you speak.

4.   Apologize when you “cross the line” with your words.

5.   Fill your mind with positive things and people who build you up and set a good example. 

6.   Take note of people who you see exercising positive words in difficult situations.  Follow their example as you have similar situations.

There are no easy answers for this subject.  It’s a lot of hard work to respond kindly and respectfully.  It is a “one step at a time” journey.  Bless you as you seek walk in it.