Image Map

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

No Greater Love than This

“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”   John 15:13

This verse has an unusual structure.  It’s a positive statement using a negative.  Greater love=positive, has no one than this=, negative no one has it(greater love) more than a person who lays down his life for his friends.  If nothing else, this unusual sentence is striking and gets my attention. 

Once I am paying close attention, I must stop and think….what is this all about?  Jesus left all the comforts of Heaven and died for his friends.  It was the most loving thing He could do.  He went to the ultimate discomfort, a painful and humiliating death, to do his Father’s will.  He gave His whole self and even endured separation from the Father during the crucifixion.  He had always had fellowship with the Father but willing forsaked that for a short time to enable his followers to have fellowship with the Father for all eternity

Yes, I’m getting it.  Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”