Image Map

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Press on Philippians 3:12

 Press on – Philippians 3:12

Not that I have already obtained all this, or already have been made perfect but press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me

As I started reading this verse, my inclination is to skip over the first part of the verse to get to “the real stuff.”  Skipping over scripture or ignoring what it means is a dangerous practice.  It’s like picking and choosing what I want to hear.  God’s Word is written to be understood in context. 

With that in mind, I need to read what is right before and right after a phrase to try to understand the context.  So if I read the beginning of verse 12 it says “not that I have obtained all of this.”  What is “this?”  I look back at verses 10 & 11 and it says, “I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like Him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.”  Those verses answer the question, “What’s this?”

So verse 12 is saying I don’t have all of the things in verse 10 and 11.  This portion of scripture goes on to say we haven’t been made perfect either. In spite of the things  I lack, I'm told to press on.  It’s a verb.  It helps us know it takes work.  It is full of action.   I am suppose to take hold of something.  I need to take hold of the things that Christ secured for me through his work on the Cross.   I should pursue the things scripture tells us that Christ secured for us.  To do this, I have to know what the scripture teaches about these things.

Pursue God through His Word.