Image Map

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Press on Philippians 3:13

Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead (I press on 14a)

Let’s think about what this verse says. The Apostle Paul tells us that he hasn’t taken hold of all Christ secured at the Cross.  In short, He doesn’t have it all together spiritually. Neither do any of us, certainly not me. 

Paul tells us that there is one thing he’s doing.  He is taking his emphasis and attention off (forgetting) what is in the past (behind) and looking forward.  The verse says he is straining toward what is ahead.  Straining is a word that brings a picture to mind.  Straining is something that is taking all our effort.  It has some pain and is often exhausting.  There is no holding back.  Our eyes are straight ahead concentrating on the goal. 

Pursuing Christ is not a passive pursuit.  It is what I’m called to do with fervor and all the effort I have.  My eyes need to stay on the prize or I will lose focus.

 Don’t take your eyes off of Jesus!  Press on!