Image Map

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Auditory Processing

I remember reading my first book on Asperger’s and it talked about children’s language difficulties.  I thought, Oh, my son doesn’t have any of this.  This chapter just doesn’t apply to him.  I don’t know when I had the “a ha moment” but eventually I realized that the information DID apply to him. 

For a child to excel academically there are several speech and language skills that he must possess.  They are:

·      Understanding similar vs different   

·      Identify what’s wrong in this picture.

·      Ability to sort items into categories.

·      Ability to identify and verbalize opposites. 

·      Ability to tell the sequence of events in a story.

·      Understanding figurative language.

·      Ability to name an object and it’s function

·      Answer WH questions (What, where, when, why, who & how)

·      Fact/opinion/inference

·      Prepositions/positions/concepts- spatial language

Auditory processing speed and auditory memory weaknesses are more issues that need to be evaluated.  A speech and Language Pathologist can test your child to find out if these are issues.