Image Map

Friday, August 9, 2013

Different Strokes



Sometimes, when I don’t understand why someone does something (that I would never do), I say different strokes for different folks. Do I really mean that?  Do I give others the freedom to be different from me?  Do I give myself the freedom to be different from others? 

That last question, I can truly answer yes but I haven’t always been able to do that.  I can remember coming home from a friend’s birthday party several years ago.  I had been at a luncheon where we all gave gifts to the birthday girl. There were lots of shared stories and most centered on frilly girly things like jewelry, decorating a home, gardening and entertaining.  I came home and asked my husband, “what’s wrong with me?  I don’t like anything that these friends are interested!”

My interests were in playing with my children, education, travel and developing good friends.  My house was usually a mess because I could care less about cleaning.  I hate decorating.  My husband always decorates the house for Christmas.  I have no interest in planting flowers.  I use our summer travel as an excuse to not bother with it.  I’ve been known to invite a mom and her children for lunch and serve them leftover casserole. 

I figured out somewhere along the line that comparison gets me nowhere except a place called depressed.  Each of us have been created uniquely so instead of trying to be like another, accept who God has created you to be.