Image Map

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What Does "Pay Attention" Mean?


Have you ever told your child to “pay attention?”  I know I have?  What’s wrong with that statement?  First, if your child is more literal in his  understanding of language, he may not “get” what “pay” attention means?  Even if he understands what this phrase means he may not have any idea how to do it or when he must do it.  So how do I quit wasting my breath and help my child to increase his attention?

First, I need to understand what activates attention.  Here are some things that attention includes

1.Sustain attention and filter:  maintain alertness, filter out distractions that compete for attention, resist distractions.

2.Shift attention:  if attention is shifted too quickly, distraction occurs,  if attention is shifted too slowly, inattention occurs, if individual is unable to shift attention, he   perseverates and is rigid thinker.

Strategies to try:

 Use fill in blank with in conversation, worksheets and reading to help the child narrow down what he must listen and pay attention in order to get the answer.

·       Explicit teaching about ignoring: when, how, who and when not to.  Ignoring takes perspective taking, social filter and frustration skills. Practice ignoring.  Teach self- monitoring.

·      For difficulty in shifting attention, give a warnings-we will have to transition to the next station in 3 minutes.  Use a timer that gives a visual and auditory cue when it’s time to transition.  A transition card or object helps some children especially if they are young.

Attention is an executive functioning skill.  I’ve probably frustrated my son many times by attempting to help him in ways that “don’t help.”  These ideas are just a few to get you started with strategies that may be more effective than “Can’t you pay attention to what you are doing?”