Image Map

Monday, March 2, 2015

Advocating: Running toward the Finish Line!

 
 

Over the last few weeks, the emphasis of advocating in the IEP process has been discussed. I want to step back for a moment. What good does it do? There are meetings, e-mails, frustrations and some heartbreak. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it helps at all! Honestly, what choice do all of us have. There are no guarantees with the advocating process. All I know is that without it, I can be sure of one thing. My child will not progress and reach his potential. I've said it before on this blog but I think it bears repeating. NO ONE LOVES YOUR CHILD LIKE YOU DO! NO ONE WILL FIGHT FOR HIM LIKE YOU WILL!!

With all the advocating I have done over the years at school have definitely helped. I know he was able to achieve so much more because of the picture I was able to paint for them. But yesterday was one of those "it was worth it all" moments. Let me share it. It was very unexpected which made it all the sweeter.

My son is twenty and attends a local community college. The adjustment has be substantial. He must do all his own advocating and adapt to things not being like the Christian school he attended for 13 years. There certainly have been ups and downs. My goal for him was to avoid "crashing and burning" in the transition. He usually takes two classes a semester and attends all summer sessions.

He was informed that he has been elected to a national honor society for students in two year colleges. He was unimpressed with the news but you guessed it. Mom and dad were on cloud 9. (My son is diagnosed with Asperger's so I had to throw in the cloud 9 to remind myself how much we had worked on understanding figurative language.). It was a moment in time that seemed to come out of nowhere. It was out of somewhere. It was due to all the hours that everyone has invested in Isaac. It is also a reflection of how Isaac has responded to all the hard work of others in his behalf. Now, he has taken the baton and is running toward the finish line of being an independent adult who happens to be diagnosed with a disability.