Image Map

Monday, March 30, 2015

Countdown to Easter!


Image courtesy of cooldesign at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

We have less than a week until Easter! How BIG or little will your celebration be? In the early days of parenting, I tried to do it all but gave most of it up after a few years. With young children, children with disabilities or for those of us highly involved in Church responsibilities, LESS is MORE! I figured out that 3 community Easter egg hunts just weren't right for our family.

Every family, needs to decide what's best for them. My husband is a pastor. Our kids are all grown so there are no kids activities any more but our schedule limits what we can do. My husband will have 6 services between Friday night and noon on Easter Sunday. I don't host any big dinners. I use to try but soon figured out that Traditional Easter dinner was over-rated, at least for our family. We often have been invited to another church family's home for Easter. we go and eat and take off for home. You see, my husband needs some serious nap time on Easter afternoon.

I always have done Easter baskets for our family. It has been a combination of candy and little trinkets or small items that I seldom buy. There were bottles of finger nail polish, cute hair ties, legos and travel games through the years. These days, I do one Easter basket with European chocolate since this is a love for all of us.

With adult children, they often have family commitments with the in-laws. That works out fine since we don't have as many family traditions for Easter. There is one family tradition I have kept. No, I don't color eggs any more but I make Empty Tomb Rolls. My family would not be happy with me if I skipped this.

Recipe from allrecipes.com

ingredients

Original recipe makes 8 rollsChange Servings

1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

8 large marshmallows

1/4 cup melted butter

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

2 tablespoons white sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Separate crescent rolls into individual triangles.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar.
  4. Dip a marshmallow into melted butter, then roll in sugar mixture. Place marshmallow into the center of a dough triangle. Carefully wrap the dough around the marshmallow. Pinch the seams together tightly to seal in marshmallow as it melts. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat.
  5. Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes


Your non-negotiables may be different than ours remember, make them realistic!