Image Map

Monday, April 13, 2015

Exceeding Expectations

My calendar tells me today is Thomas Jefferson's birthday. Why should I care when the third president of our country was born? I had to think about this. The main reason I care, is that it reminds me of a lot of people who have exceeded others expectations. There are lists running all over the internet of famous people who had....... You can fill in the blank with ADHD, learning disabilities, autism, dyslexia, anxiety. Some of these people have been diagnosed and some have not. The figures in history display characteristics of these learning differences and get added to the list based on that.

Thomas Jefferson ends up on some of theses lists. I have seen him on autism and dyslexia lists. In my mind, it doesn't matter the exactness of any diagnosis he might of had. The bottom line is that my son isn't the first person to have challenges in this world. He often has told me, "I cannot do that. I have a syndrome." He is very tired of hearing my response. "I understand it may be harder for you than other people but YOU CAN DO IT. I am here to help you."

One way I have tried to encourage him is to help him see famous people who had similar difficulties and struggles. As he was growing up, I encouraged him to pick biographies to read or projects that centered around people with learning differences, he has learned about Einstein, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Isaac Newton and many others. Everyone needs role models and heroes, I think children with learning differences are no different. Heroes for them may need to be people with similar challenges but who have persevered through those changes. They did not give up. Those who have a lifestyle of perseverance can be a great role model for us all!