Exciting! Well that
depends. I was usually excited. I love my children but I was always ready for
them to go school. School brought a lot
of things to our family. I was a laid
back mommy when my children were young.
Organization wasn’t my strength. In
fact, I was quite proud (too proud) of the fact that I never owned a calendar until I had children in junior high. School brought us back to a schedule each
fall. It was good to have a break from
schedule over the summer. It was also
good to have a definite routine when school started.
Some of my
children were excited when they were young to return to school. School was fun for them. They saw friends a lot and learning came
easily. Even these children as they grew
older didn’t enjoy to prospect of going
back to school. They were active
socially in the summer with their friends so school cut into the hours each day
for pure socialization.
My son was a
different story. The anxiety that came
over him was tremendous with the mention of the start of school. We began to transition him to the idea around
the first of August. He started school
about 3 weeks later. It took all the
time and it still wasn’t always a smooth first day.
It always
took a lot of planning. Sometimes it
went well and sometimes it didn’t.
Planning didn’t assure that the first day would go well. But without planning, it was certain it
wouldn’t go well.
As you
prepare your child with anxiety for the first day know you have a friend here
who understands!