Image Map

Friday, August 16, 2013

How to Decline Gracefully

 Requests, how do I deal with them?  There seems to be more than I could possibly do in the next 10 years.  How do I handle these?  Well, if you asked me as a 25 year old first-year pastor’s wife the answer would have been, “I do everything.”  Today is a different story. 

I’ve learned that I can’t please everyone and there just aren’t  enough hours in a day to meet all these requests.  I’ve had 3 children since those early days in the pastorate. I’ve had a child with a disability which required a lot of focused attention.  Our current church is much larger that our first ministry which means I can’t say yes to everything. 

Ok, I have to say no, sometimes but how?  I used to feel like I had to explain why I wasn’t able to serve or attend an event.  I often went into long explanations hoping the person asking would understand.  Over time, I believe experience, maturity and feeling more confident personally has changed how I handle requests. 

The buzz words are “just say no.”  I try to decline graciously but don’t feel the need to explain every detail of my decision.  It’s ok to decline without huge explanation.  Often, the explanation seems defensive or like I’m trying to convince myself as well as

others that it’s ok to say no.  It has taken me a long time to “get to this place.”  It certainly has been a freeing experience. 

Always decline in a gracious manner but often no explanation is necessary.