Image Map

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Less is More

Have you ever wished you could just have……and then you would be happy. I have to admit that I’ve had that thought.  It never is true though. I remember hearing the antithesis from people older than me.  “I don’t want any more stuff.  The more  have, the more I have to take care of.  I have to clean it, polish it and fix it.” 

I’ve learned that less can be more: more time, more energy and often it saves me money.  As a parent of a child with learning differences, less is also more. Trying to do one more activity didn’t make our family’s life better.  It usually meant a meltdown, at worst and exhaustion, at best. 

Parenting a child with social challenges has meant that I must measure if the “one more thing” turns   a great experience into a disaster.  Our family has a lifetime to create good memories.  It’s done by building one positive experience at a time.