Image Map

Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Memories



I remember a conversation I had with my oldest daughter over Labor Day weekend in 1994.  She was six years old and had just began school for the first time a few days before. I was 9 months pregnant and it looked like I would need to be induced.  The doctor told me he was working all weekend so we could induce any time I wanted over the holiday.
My husband thought it would be great to have “labor” on Labor Day.  We mentioned this to our daughter.  And she quickly responded, “Oh, no.  Not on my day off!”  It was   adorable.  We thought about it and had our son on Tuesday so our daughter could have her first day off from school “uninterrupted.” 
Much has happened since then. In fact, our son who was diagnosed on the autism spectrum at age 8 has made so much progress.  He graduated from high school last May and we are beginning our first year without children at the school we called “our second home” for the last 20 years. 
For our family, Labor Day marks the beginning of life for with our son and the beginning of the school year for the last 20 years.  What great memories!